Tuesday, November 29, 2005

MOTHER EARTH

This weekend while I was reading with my kids the book we were reading had a picture of an eagle. Upon seeing the picture Mazana began to inform me that the Earth is our mother, eagles are our brothers and the grass, etc. is our sisters! As you can imagine this was not the conversation I had expected or hoped for. It seems that she learned this at Creative Beginnings which she attends three days per week after kindergarten.

I was very disturbed and tried to explain to my children that some people believe this, but that this is not what I believe. I challenged them, especially Mazana, to talk to God about it and ask Him what the truth is. She does not like it when I tell her to ask God because she says that she cannot hear Him. I continue to tell her to talk to Him and I will continue and I pray that one day she will believe as I do. She is so smart and inquisitive that I know she will be a great Bible scholar. I expect her to be very educated because I think she will question and research. She is so much like her daddy this way. They both possess such curiosity.

I plan to talk to Ann (Creative Beginning's owner and director) tonight about this bit of teaching that my daughter received. I hope that it is not to be a regular occurence or I think I will have to pull her out. I can't have them being fed a bunch a New Age baloney.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marlene said...

I have a hard time believing that Ann would allow that kind of teaching! I had a similar situation in Ryan's 4th grade class last year where his teacher insisted that we evolved from apes! We can only do so much to protect our precious little ones, because the harsh reality is that they are going to be exposed to a lot of things we don't agree with. All we can do is exactly what you did...tell them what you believe and why, and pray with them about it. Leading by example is so very important because you are their main Teacher!
Good Luck with your curious little one!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jen Johnson said...

WOW! I cannot believe that either! I would defintely talk to Ann and inform her that you will be pulling your kids out unless the teacher is reprimanded. That is really ridiculous. Hang tough - know that what you are doing is winning the first of many spiritual battles for your kids.
Keep us posted!
Jen

6:47 PM  
Blogger Alyson said...

Ok, so I talked to Ann last night and she said that it was one of those books on tape that they listen to. The teacher holds the book and flips the pages while the tape is playing. It is about some Indian boy and his sick sister, blah, blah, blah.

So I told Mazana that I talked to Ann and that she told me about the book. I told her that that is what some of the Indians believe, but that is not what we believe. She agreed, but not with too much ferver.

I want to shield my kids, but I also am aware that they have to make their own decisions. I did not expect to have to let go so early on. I thought we would be pushing the teen years before all this came about. They have a foundation though, and I must believe that they will embrace it as I continue to teach them about God. They are very interested in Bible stories right now too. I love their curiosity.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home